Monday, October 28, 2013

5k whoop whoop

Yesterday was one for the books! I completed my very first ever 3 .1 miles (plus some) WITHOUT stopping at all!!!! I have been "running" for a while. I've never really had the ambition to complete a 5k and it's always been a huge mental thing for me. My legs always felt like they were going to fall off, that would trigger my mind to stay STOP, so I would walk for a bit then start back up. Run, walk a little, run a little more, get tired and walk some more and then finish it off with a sprint so I felt good about it ;)
Yesterday Alicia (my running buddy) yay for running buddies! and I started off. We agreed to at least run 1/2 the 3.1 miles and by that half, if we couldn't run anymore, we'd walk for a bit. I have the nike+ app with the chip in my shoes, so I cranked that bad boy on and it alerted me at the half way point. I felt good. My chest wasn't on fire, my breathing was steady and my legs didn't cramp up and I looked at Alicia and she didn't look like she was stopping so I pushed forward. A little later my ankles and calves started burning. Thank goodness a power song came and I totally just started jamming out not thinking about the pain in my legs. I knew if I stopped and walked, I wouldn't be able to start running again. 2.85 miles and the pain had subsided a little and another power song came on, I could see our finish line!!! 3.1 miles, complete!! No walking and our pace was 9:30 the whole time. We finished right under 30 min. What a great feeling. Alicia and I had been talking about doing a 5k last weekend. I just didn't feel ready and was hesitant to sign up. Sadly it got cancelled anyway. There is another one this weekend and I am so signing up! Grit has played such a huge part in all this. It has conditioned my body and I am able to do so much more. I have such a love/hate relationship with it...so much that I signed up again in November.

No comments:

Post a Comment